Have you ever thought about what it takes to live a high-performance life? When you create that vision in your mind, does it include a lot of potentially negative habits like alcohol consumption? Probably not. But if you're not a legitimate, card-carrying alcoholic, why would you ever consider quitting? And even if you did want to upgrade your productivity and quality of life by giving up booze, how could you? There's that pesky social pressure, and general boredom to contend with after all, right? Well, our guest James has created not only a fool-proof system by which the 'social drinker' can put the plug in the jug, but he's also assembled a sizeable online tribe of like-minded 'quitters' that offer moral support and inspiration to each other through his 30Day No Alcohol Challenge.
When it comes to being a boss, and performing at your highest potential, three things top the list of essential lifestyle habits:
Did you know that one of the worst side-effects of regular alcohol consumption is a profound disruption of your healthy sleep cycle? But perhaps you don't drink. Think you're off the hook? Nope. There happens to be another nasty little habit that’s destroying the sleep of humans from all walks of life on a daily basis. It's a poison of sorts, and it's everywhere. It's almost impossible to avoid, and it's getting worse by the day. It's in your home, on the streets, in every store, restaurant, airplane, hospital, and school. This insidious addiction runs rampant, and I promise that if you're reading this, you're a strung-out user. Thankfully, this episode contains the cure. The drug is artificial white (blue) light. We are strung out on using it when the sun goes down. The treatment is preventing this sleep-damaging blue light from making contact with your eyes after dark. One way to avoid this toxic, unnatural light is to go to bed at dusk, and wake up at dawn (see hunter-gatherer humans). My guess is that this doesn't sound too feasible. Ready for option two? I thought so. Thankfully, there is another, more simple way to avoid blue light at night: Wearing blue-blocking orange glasses. The issue with this preventative measure is that 99% of the blue-blocking glasses on the market are positively atrocious, and can't be worn in social situations without inviting a torrent of giggles and annoying questions. Not only does our guest Mr. Swanwick offer some practical insights on the recent phenomenon of blocking blue light, but he also brings what are likely the first decent looking, wearable orange glasses to market.
In addition to covering the two very real issues of habitual alcohol consumption and blue light exposure, James also presents many other valuable insights into not only breaking unfavorable habits but also creating and maintaining positive ones.
If you want to kick ass, be a boss, and dominate this thing called life, this enlightening episode is for you. It's also for anyone who shares your passion for building the ultimate lifestyle. So share this show with someone you love. Right now.
To your dreams,
This Show is Brought to You by
BULLETPROOF.COM. AN AMAZING WAY TO UPGRADE BOTH, YOUR MORNING COFFEE AND BREAKFAST, SO YOU STAY FULL, CRAVINGS-FREE AND ENERGIZED FOR HOURS.
Check Out My Dope Bulletproof Coffee Recipe
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)
- Getting to know James Swanwick: from Australia to London, to South America and the start of his US journey
- The benefit of hindsight: losses that bring big rewards
- Seeing the big picture when things don't go your way: the ups and downs of entrepreneurship
- Money - along with a few key ingredients - does bring happiness
- The pros and cons of not owning a car and the social dynamics that come with it
- The role of modern men: relationships, being a gentleman, cultural backgrounds, who pays the tab?
- The dangers of blue light: the adverse effects on your sleep and how to block it
- Upcoming gadgets to promote relaxation, sleep and natural melatonin production
- The benefits of quitting alcohol: James' past as a drinker, his path to an alcohol-free life, and his program to help people quit drinking
- 47-day habit hacker: creating successful habits
- 3 lifestyle recommendations
SHOP PRODUCTS MENTIONED
- Episode #3: Dr. Jack Kruse: Surviving the City with Spiritual Science
- Episode #4: Evan Brand: The Zen of Stress
- Episode #13: Dr. John Gray: Making Peace in the War of Love
- Episode #15: Ben Greenfield: Biohacking the Ultimate Home
- Episode #16: Claus Pummer: Sleep, The Smartest Drug?
- Episode #17: Dr. Pat Allen: Failure of Feminism?
- Episode #23: Rich Roll: Surrender to Win - The Rise Of A Peaceful Warrior
- Episode #25: Emil Detoffol: EMF - The High Price Of Technology
- Episode #26: Dave Asprey: Becoming Bulletproof
- Episode #27: Ryan Munsey: Becoming A Civilized Beast
- Episode #30: Owning Your Brain With Neurofeedback
- Episode #31: John Wineland: What Men Crave & What Women Want
- Episode #32: Dr Kirk Parsley: How To Sleep Like The Dead
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Intro music: Jeordie White
Show notes: Tatiana Melo
Sound editing: Dustin Smith