In this episode I had the distinct pleasure and honor to sit for a highly elevated chat with one of my favorite spiritual teachers and world renowned authorities on meditation, Sharon Salzberg. She started meditating the year I was born (1970), so it goes without saying that she had some profound insights with which to enlighten our listeners.
Sharon has an exceptional gift for making somewhat esoteric Buddhist teachings accessible to the masses. If you’re someone who has struggled finding meaning and application in spiritual and religious teachings, but knows deep down that you are missing out on a more rich experience of life as a result, this episode might just be the bridge you need to cross the existential gap. On the other hand, if you’re a veteran meditator and feel as though you’ve got this whole ‘mindfulness’ thing down, you will no doubt be pleasantly reminded of some basic, yet easy to forget universal truths.
During this interview Sharon shares endless nuggets of simple, yet powerful wisdom that she has derived from all her years of spiritual work and teaching. From hanging out with the Dalia Lama, to sitting for thousands or hours of meditation (around 15,000 by my estimate) Sharon has unlocked the secrets to happiness, fulfillment and peace in our sometimes chaotic and confusing world. If you’re ready to take your consciousness to the next level, sit back and join me and Sharon in this guided meditation, followed by a profound, yet funny and irreverent conversation about life between a student and teacher of sorts.
Please take a moment to think of one person you know who could use some help embracing a spiritual perspective on life, then share this very special episode with them. Alternatively, if you feel like everyone in the world could use a bit of enlightenment, go the extra mile by posting this show to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. You’ll be doing me, Sharon, yourself, and the world a great service.
May whatever you call god bless you,
MY 90-DAY LIFESTYLE DESIGN COACHING PROGRAM
Your opportunity to work with me one-on-one. Upgrade your life through my proven system of revolutionary mental, physical and emotional transformation.
This Show is Brought to You By:
ORGANIFI. This product has changed the green juice game for me. A green powdered superfood that comes in portable packets perfect for travel, keeping in your car or bag. On-demand instant green juice that is alkalizing, energizing and gives you mental clarity. What else is so special about it? Zero glycemic index & comes with all 11 most important superfoods: turmeric, chlorella, wheat grass, spirulina, mint, moringa, ashwagandha, lemon, beets, coconut, matcha green tea. Awesome stuff!
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)
TOPICS DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S EPISODE:
- We talk about the fact that she’s been meditating exactly as long as I’ve been alive
- What it was like for her to travel to India for her first 10-day Vipassana meditation, and why she went the route of the buddhist tradition, while so many of her contemporaries leaned toward Hindu-based teachings
- Why she never chose to take on a special spiritual name, or wear guru costumes, and how she has managed to avoid the trappings of a spiritual ego
- The value in taking a ‘householders’ approach to spirituality
- Then Sharon treats us to a short ‘idiots guide to Buddhism’ where she breaks down the origins of the tradition and some of its teachers
- Why she still chooses to live in NYC some of the time, and what value a big city holds for spiritual growth
- Her views on social media and device addiction
- The fine line between making a positive contribution to the world and being a fanatical activist
- How she has discovered the path to freedom from the mind, and why she’s devoted her life to teaching it
- The fact that in life pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional
- We explore the idea that mindfulness is not passive, but rather surrendered action
- How to become free of negative attachments
- What is the hungry ghost, and how we can avoid being trapped by our desires
- How reincarnation effects our lives
- Sharon’s views on the value of the 12 Steps Program
- We talk about Real Love, her 10th book and what role compassion toward ourselves and others plays in our lives
- Lastly Sharon gives us her prediction on where the current spiritual movement is taking us, and how she’s hopeful for the future state of mankind’s evolution
- Lifestyle recommendations
- Episode #5: Emily Fletcher: Meditation Made Easy
- Episode #12: Tej Khalsa: Kundalini Yoga - God's Technology
- Episode #20: Mas Vidal: Ayurveda and Yoga as a Way of Life
- Episode #66: Russell Simmons: From Hip Hop Mogul To Yoga Master
- Episode #89: Abbie Galvin: Katonah: The Most Powerful Yoga You’ve Never Heard Of
- Episode #90: JP Sears: I Am Your Guru. How To Be Ultra Spiritual & Humbly Superior
- Episode #93: Desiree Pais: Living On The EdgeOf The New Age
- Episode #94: Jeff Kober: The Walking Dead And The Path of Enlightenment, Part One
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Intro music: Jeordie White
Show production: Tatiana Melo
Sound editing: Dustin Smith