We all go on our own journeys with food.
I’ve gone through quite a few phases in my journey – from hardcore vegetarian to hardcore raw protein to, now, something more balanced and less inflammatory.
Now I don’t care what you eat – you can eat a sofa if you want – but a lot of people mindlessly eat more than their fair share, a lot of the time. That doesn’t help you, and it doesn’t help the world.
The key to finding the optimal diet for your body is appreciating your food, and being more conscious about when it serves you and when it doesn’t.
Of course, we live in a fast-paced world. Finding and preparing the best food doesn't always feel easy – and that’s where today’s guest, Jasmine Hemsley, comes in.
Jasmine is a wellbeing expert and creator of the East by West, a modern take on Ayurvedic principles & recipes for today’s busy world. Beginning with a pop up cafe in London, East by West is now a cookbook containing 140 delicious (and simple) recipes that focus on using the ancient Ayurvedic philosophy of eating to nourish, sustain, and repair.
The Ayurvedic lifestyle isn’t about strict rules or regulations, and it’s really a lot less stressful than most diets – it’s simply a philosophy for living well that emphasizes bringing balance into your lifestyle.
Ready for the ultimate mind-body balance?
TOPICS DISCUSSED ON THIS EPISODE:
- Becoming more conscious about food
- Growing up with a Filipino mother & English father
- Creating a healthy family bond around food
- Coming up with SO MANY amazing recipes
- Utilitarian eating VS being a foodie
- The creative process
- Combining the Paleo-Primal way of eating with the Ayurvedic diet
- Gut health
- Cooking tasty meals that include organ meat
- Why some people need animal protein in their diet
- Appreciating your food
- Where hunger begins & cravings end
- Emotional eating
- Sound bathing & the effects of sound on your blood
- Marrying East + West
- The nutritional difference between some cold & hot foods
- Meat as medicine
- The science of living
- Simultaneous & incredible inventions throughout history (How did different civilizations build pyramids at the same time, without contact?!)
- Vedic architecture
- The proper pace for eating (“There are no teeth in your tummy”)
- Food combining; it’s better to have good digestions and a bad diet than it is to have bad digestion and a good diet
- East by West: Simple Recipes for Ultimate Mind-Body Balance by Jasmine Hemsley
- Connect with Jasmine: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
- Jasmine’s recipes: jasminehemsley.com/recipes
- Hemsley + Hemsley Cafe (located in London)
- Sound Sebastien - Crystal alchemy sound bathing
- The Art of Eating Well by Jasmine Hemsley and Melissa Hemsley
- Good + Simple by Jasmine Hemsley and Melissa Hemsley
Join the tribe on our Facebook Group. Ask away!
This Show is Brought to You By:
Athletic Greens. 11 supplements in 1! As someone who’s been into superfoods, and supplementation for over 25 years, I’ve seen many a trend come and go. One of those trends is green powder blends. Having tried many of them, and left most of them behind, one I’ve decided to stick with is Athletic Greens. The attention to detail in the ingredient deck and the careful sourcing of those ingredients is really impressive. The inclusion of not only the broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals is fantastic, but also the enzymes and probiotics necessary to fully assimilate those nutrients. Add to that the convenience factor, and the elimination of the need to travel with 20 bottles of supplements, and you’ve got a home run even for the most discerning health connoisseur. If you’re looking for fast acting energy, alkalinity, and nutrient density, Athletic Greens is a home run. Get 20 FREE travel packs valued at $99 with your first purchase.
BANYAN BOTANICALS. Banyan Botanicals wants to help you gain a deeper understanding of your health through the lens of Ayurveda, from physiology and digestion to body structure and personality. All you have to do is take the 10-minute quiz to find out your current imbalances and the reasons why you might be out of balance. Immediately, Banyan delivers personalized herbal, diet, and lifestyle guidance to keep your doshas balanced, all based on your own quiz results. You should definitely check out Banyan Botanicals’ Intro to Ayurveda, and then you can learn more by taking the quiz at www.banyanbotanicals.com/ luke.
ORGANIFI. I'm loving Organifi Gold especially for my night time routine. It has turmeric, ginger, reishi, lemon balm, turkey tail and other rad super foods, phytonutrients & pain-soothing herbs. My daily routine lately goes like this: in the morning I add it to my nut milk smoothy. At night when I want to chill out, I make a golden latte. I add the power and a healthy fat like ghee, coconut, or grass-fed butter to hot water and voilá! Great warm elixir, really chills you out, gently detoxifies and tastes awesome. Save 20% off, use coupon code "LIFESTYLIST"
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)