Tara Mackey has a fascinating story full of peaks and valleys, shifting between periods of abject suffering and astounding success.
Today, Tara is standing atop a shining peak: she is the CEO + Founder of The Organic Life, the CEO + Founder of Genetix Skincare, a soul singer, and the #1 best-selling author of “Cured by Nature” and “WILD Habits.”
But, as most good stories unfortunately do, it all began in a pretty dark valley.
Tara was born with drugs in her body – very literally – and into a home filled with abuse and… well, more drugs.
She didn’t fall into using hard drugs, but she was isolated and depressed and struggling to cope with her mother’s addiction. Tara’s grandparents brought her to a psychiatrist and, within 10 minutes, she had her first diagnosis and her first prescription – Lithium. The first of many.
By the time Tara was 24, she was on 14 different prescription drugs – then she reached her breaking point.
Tara successfully quit all 14 prescriptions cold turkey (which she doesn’t recommend) and started healing her chronic illnesses holistically, a move that drastically changed her life. Now Tara is turning these tragedies into her greatest gifts, converting her suffering into compassion like an emotional alchemist.
Tara replaced her addiction with WILDhabits, healing herself from the inside out – and if that works for a body going in and out of the hospital on a monthly basis due to drug complications, can you imagine what it will do for yours?
TOPICS DISCUSSED ON THIS EPISODE:
- Being born a crack baby
- Reading Tony Robbins as a seven-year-old
- Why addiction is a family disease, affecting everyone around you
- Controlling what you can control (and letting the universe take care of everything else)
- Why we usually keep repeating the same patterns until some pain forces us to make a change
- Superficial, outward honesty VS being honest with yourself
- The overmedication of children
- Pain & trauma getting misdiagnosed as mental illness
- The difference between fact and opinion
- “Shitty life disorder”
- Diagnosing problems as disorders
- Negative drug interactions that put Tara in the hospital on a monthly basis, for years
- Why Tara doesn’t recommend quitting cold turkey
- Controlling your relationship with other people
- Why interior design is so powerful
- Embracing chiropractors
- The WILD method: Willingness, Intuition, Love, & Discipline
- Using your story to make the world a better place
- Instagram: @taramackey
- WILD Habits: Unlock Your Mind, Improve Your Health, and Release Your True Power by Tara Mackey
- Cured by Nature: How to Heal from the Inside Out, Find Happiness, and Discover Your True Self by Tara Mackey
- Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
- Journey to self-realization by Paramahansa Yogananda
- Watch AWAKE: The Life of Yogananda
- Love, Lucy by Lucille Ball
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin Sharma
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth by Jen Sincero
Join the tribe on our Facebook Group. Ask away!
This Show is Brought to You By:
ATHLETIC GREENS. 11 supplements in 1! As someone who’s been into superfoods, and supplementation for over 25 years, I’ve seen many a trend come and go. One of those trends is green powder blends. Having tried many of them, and left most of them behind, one I’ve decided to stick with is Athletic Greens. The attention to detail in the ingredient deck and the careful sourcing of those ingredients is really impressive. The inclusion of not only the broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals is fantastic, but also the enzymes and probiotics necessary to fully assimilate those nutrients. Add to that the convenience factor, and the elimination of the need to travel with 20 bottles of supplements, and you’ve got a home run even for the most discerning health connoisseur. If you’re looking for fast acting energy, alkalinity, and nutrient density, Athletic Greens is a home run. Get 20 FREE travel packs valued at $99 with your first purchase.
ALTERRA PURE. This show is all about optimizing your lifestyle, and part of that is optimizing your sleep environment. I’m super stoked about the new bedding company Alterra Pure. Insane high quality, truly organic, pesticide-free, non-GMO cotton sheets and bedding. A lot of stuff in the market is actually pretty fake. I’ve done a lot of research into it. Alterra Pure is legit, I’m using them on my bed, they are insanely high quality. What’s also great about this company is that they support the environment, social sustainability and are absolutely transparent. 15% OFF when you use coupon code LIFESTYLIST at checkout.
ORGANIFI. I'm loving Organifi Gold especially for my night time routine. It has turmeric, ginger, reishi, lemon balm, turkey tail and other rad super foods, phytonutrients & pain-soothing herbs. My daily routine lately goes like this: in the morning I add it to my nut milk smoothie. At night when I want to chill out, I make a golden latte. I add the power and a healthy fat like ghee, coconut, or grass-fed butter to hot water and voilá! Great warm elixir, really chills you out, gently detoxifies and tastes awesome. Save 20% off, use coupon code "LIFESTYLIST".
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)