In Japanese culture, if an object of value breaks, there is an artform that involves putting it back together with a lacquer and golden powder – Kintsugi, or the art of golden repair.
The repaired object is then considered more beautiful than it was before; recognition that the imperfections and differences are actually part of our story, and part of what makes us beautiful.
There is another Japanese art called wabi-sabi, which is essentially the aesthetic philosophy that things can be perfectly imperfect.
As someone who wrecked his life and put it back together, I can really appreciate the metaphor.
I also appreciate how these traditions inspire my guest Candice Kumai, the “golden girl of the wellness world.” She is a professionally trained chef, a leading wellness writer, a best-selling author, a Top Chef alumna, and a proud Japanese-American.
Her newest book, Kintsugi Wellness: The Japanese Art of Nourishing Mind, Body, and Spirit, is more than just a clean living guide or cookbook – it’s a piece of art that guides the reader through Candice’s favorite Japanese traditions and practices for cultivating inner strength and living graciously, containing the tools we all need to reclaim the art of living well.
Candice reminds us of the power and beauty of rebirth, shows us we can all start practicing the art of living well (no matter what age we are), and explains why cooking is one of the only resources available to all of us that will allow someone to change their whole life through simple ingredients & actions.
We also end the interview with a question I’ll pose to all of you – How can we, as public figures and content creators, be of better use to you? That’s why we’re here and we honestly want to know.
TOPICS DISCUSSED ON THIS EPISODE:
- The incredible matcha cookies that Candice made for me (you can check out the recipe here on Candice’s YouTube channel)
- Birth, destruction, and rebirth is a natural cycle – and sometimes the rebirth is the most beautiful part
- How Candice’s parents met through war, in a Buddhist temple
- What is wabi-sabi?
- Growing up, Candice was everything that wasn’t considered “asian”
- Like Dr. Seuss said, “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
- Why Candice gravitated towards her Japanese heritage
- Part of being honorable and humble is letting your work speak for yourself – and part of being a public figure is highlighting those folks
- Drinking vodka, from a biohacker’s perspective
- The mouth-watering photography in Kintsugi Wellness (which Candice did herself)
- What do people do differently in the The Blue Zones, these areas where people live the longest & happiest lives?
- Life begins when you get a Vitamix
- Why cooking is one of the only resources you have to change your whole life through simple ingredients & actions
- Gaman, the art of great resilience, humility, and enduring
- Working with integrity & authenticity
- How can we, as public figures, be of use to you?
- Kintsugi Wellness: The Japanese Art of Nourishing Mind, Body, and Spirit by Candice Kumai
- Listen: Wabi Sabi - The Perfectly Imperfect Podcast
- Instagram: @Candicekumai
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/candicekumai
- Facebook: facebook.com/CandiceKumai/
- Twitter: @CandiceKumai
- The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest. National Geographic Books by Dan Buettner
Join the tribe on our Facebook Group. Ask away!
This Show is Brought to You By:
BIOSTRAP. Biohacking your body requires data, and Biostrap tracks more data, more accurately than anything else on the market. The biometric readings allow users to quantify their body’s physiological well-being, measure the bodily effects of their daily activities, and assess the efficacy of preventative health measures – even in your sleep. Get 25% off today by going to biostrap.com/Luke and using the promo code “STOREY”.
ALTERRA PURE. This show is all about optimizing your lifestyle, and part of that is optimizing your sleep environment. I’m super stoked about the new bedding company Alterra Pure. Insane high quality, truly organic, pesticide-free, non-GMO cotton sheets and bedding. A lot of stuff in the market is actually pretty fake. I’ve done a lot of research into it. Alterra Pure is legit, I’m using them on my bed, they are insanely high quality. What’s also great about this company is that they support the environment, social sustainability and are absolutely transparent. 15% OFF when you use coupon code LIFESTYLIST at checkout.
TONIC WELLNESS BOUTIQUE. I’m about to let one of my best-kept secrets out of the bag: Tonic Wellness Boutique, the best place for hot and cold relaxation therapies in LA. Everything you’ll find here is proven to simultaneously revitalize the body, improve blood circulation, and help activate the lymphatic system to help detoxification (and if you’re in a city like LA, you have to detox, like for real). On top of that, these methods can help reduce inflammation, improve skin tone, and actively promote the release of endorphins. Check out TonicBoutique.com to learn about all the latest and greatest biohacking tech available to you.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)