This episode is a long time coming – I’m sitting down with the catalyst of the Life Stylist podcast and my partner in crime at the School of Style, Lauren Messiah. (Oh... and we also dated for exactly five years).
As a self-described “perpetual not-fitter-inner,” Lauren struggles to find a tribe of her own – but she’s always had style, her one constant.
If you dress the right way, you can fit in anywhere... but if you really own it, you can carve out your own space. That’s exactly what Lauren does, and that’s what makes her such an incredible entrepreneur.
As a personal stylist, Lauren is dedicated to helping women fundamentally change their relationship with clothing so that they can take out the BS and completely transform themselves, from the outside in.
What does your wardrobe communicate to other people? Hell, what does it communicate to yourself? How does our style affect our identity? Our energy?
It’s not about being cute or sexy – it’s about getting what you want and living your best life!
TOPICS DISCUSSED ON THIS EPISODE:
- How Lauren kicked my ass and got me to start the podcast
- Our five-year relationship and multiple attempts at couples therapy (including a stay at the Onsite Workshops)
- How we’ve evolved since ending our relationship
- Lauren’s first fashion memory
- Being a perpetual not-fitter-inner
- Growing up multiracial & feeling like you don’t have a tribe
- Using style to carve out her own space
- Being a voice for people who feel misunderstood
- Going to fashion school and then not becoming a designer
- Inadequacies in education
- Moving from the east coast to the west coast
- Becoming a stylist and finding the School of Style
- Blogging about fashion in 2005
- Why Lauren stopped celebrity styling & started personal styling
- Being a servant VS serving
- Style being a huge pain point for so many people
- How a job with Nickelodeon changed Lauren’s life trajectory
- Clothing as a way of communicating your values
- Lauren’s evolving brand & relationship with style
- Living your best life
- Putting yourself in badass mode
- Being the Oprah of fashion
- The science of getting dressed
- How men can represent their true self on the outside
- Lauren’s current self-help journey
Personal Style University With Lauren Messiah
Build a Wardrobe that Opens Doors!
Personal Style University is the step-by-step virtual styling program that shows you how to take style into your own hands – with the help and support of an experienced personal stylist.
Start showing the world who you really are without having to spend a ton of money, lose weight, or get rid of everything in your closet.
How Personal Style University Works:
- As soon as you join the course, you’ll get a series of bite-sized video lessons, downloadable worksheets, and other resources to help you develop your signature style.
- You get lifetime access to all the materials, so you’ll never fall behind or get overwhelmed. You can go through the program at a pace that works for you.
- You’ll get the exact strategies I’ve used to help hundreds of women transform their lives by finding their own personal style.
This Show is Brought to You By:
ORGANIFI. I'm loving Organifi Gold especially for my night time routine. It has turmeric, ginger, reishi, lemon balm, turkey tail and other rad super foods, phytonutrients & pain-soothing herbs. My daily routine lately goes like this: in the morning I add it to my nut milk smoothy. At night when I want to chill out, I make a golden latte. I add the power and a healthy fat like ghee, coconut, or grass-fed butter to hot water and voilá! Great warm elixir, really chills you out, gently detoxifies and tastes awesome. Save 20% off, use coupon code "LIFESTYLIST"
ALTERRA PURE. This show is all about optimizing your lifestyle, and part of that is optimizing your sleep environment. I’m super stoked about the new bedding company Alterra Pure. Insane high quality, truly organic, pesticide-free, non-GMO cotton sheets and bedding. A lot of stuff in the market is actually pretty fake-ass. I’ve done a lot of research into it. Alterra Pure is legit, I’m using them on my bed, they are insanely high quality. What’s also great about this company is that they support the environment, social sustainability and are absolutely transparent. 15% OFF when you use coupon code LIFESTYLIST at checkout
AMPCOIL. A unique and powerful device that merges PEMF, biofeedback, bioresonance, Tesla and sound technology into an all-in-one wellness system for home use. A technological solution for detox and to help address Lyme-related symptoms, including co-infections, autoimmune conditions, and other health challenges.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Intro music: Jeordie White
Show production: Tatiana Melo
Sound editing: Dustin Smith