This is a story about how our guest, Marcus Antebi changed my life.
The year was 2010. I was a vegetarian at the time, beginning to travel from LA to NYC more frequently for my work in the fashion industry. I remember the sheer terror of landing at JFK, usually at night, starving, then taxiing into the city to start the hunt for something made of plants to eat. It's hard to imagine now, but a mere ten years ago it was almost impossible to find organic restaurants in Manhattan, let alone something vegan or vegetarian. Sources were scarce, and it was even harder to locate something green to eat after a grueling flight across the country had sapped my veggie-hunting energy into oblivion.
Then on one of those trips, as my good fortune would have it, I happened to be staying at a hotel on the Lower East Side. As I wandered the crowded streets of my temporary neighborhood resigned to the fact that I would probably have to settle for a bowl of MSG-laden Chinese veggies and rice for dinner, I suddenly saw something that would forever change my New York experience forever:
There it was in all it's mini neon sign glory! "THE JUICE PRESS. ORGANIC, COLD-PRESSED JUICES". Not only had I stumbled across a juice bar (like we had on every other block back in LA) but these guys were badass enough to make and serve COLD-PRESSED juices and smoothies, in the tradition of the late, great Norman Walker. Having been an avid juicer and smoothie wizard myself since the early nineties, I was overjoyed to not only find someone doing it- but doing it oh so right. And thus began my obsession with The Juice Press, and all its glorious organic juices, and superfood snacks.
Little did I know, nine years later I would finally track down the man behind it (and his then fiancé Teresa ) to get the scoop on his whole juice journey.
Our guest Marcus Antebi has since blossomed that tiny shop I first stumbled into at 70 East 1st Street into 71 more stores in 7 states, and counting. His mission is to make healthy, organic, plant-based foods available in a fast, and convenient manner for all who crave it.
In this episode you'll learn how Marcus and his partner Michael Karsch created their empire and became the 'juice kings' of New York, and every industry secret nobody else dares to tell. Marcus and his wife Teresa treat the listener to a backstage pass to the current green juice revolution and explain what it takes to source the cleanest ingredients in the world, and why getting fruits and vegetables into your body is crucial to your health. As it turns out, not all juice is created equal, and Marcus teaches us exactly how and why in fascinating detail.
If you or someone you know drink fresh-pressed juices and smoothies, you are about to become enlightened to this topic at a depth you never imagined possible.
If you've not yet made organic, raw, nourishing plant-based drinks a part of your lifestyle, this show is sure to convince you to do so.
Pass this episode along to someone who could use some vitality, energy, and cleansing power in their life.
Here's to your greens!
TOPICS DISCUSSED ON THIS EPISODE:
- How Marcus got into the industry, and his motivation for starting the first store
- Why cold-pressed raw juice is so much more powerful than pasteurized
- The core values of the great juice movement, and what it takes to be successful
- Who is the juice pioneer Norman Walker, and why is he so important
- The best and worse juicers on the market for home use
- Why you want to avoid most stevia products
- How Marcus dealt with the USDA & FDA food inspections as he was building his juice empire
- The challenge in finding local organic produce year-round
- Why eating locally-grown food is not always the best option for your health
- Teresa’s vegan lifestyle, pregnancy and home births
- The plant kingdom, and what chemicals are doing to our food & environment
- How to effectively treat deficiencies, and why women have cravings through pregnancy
- Protein as the problem, not the solution
- The top 5 ways to avoid getting cancer from your diet
- The reason processed sugar is the worse thing ever!
- Is a Ketogenic diet really healthy and sustainable?
- The dangers of the Paleo diet
- The amazing healing powers of a 3-day water fast
Join the tribe on our Facebook Group. Ask away!
MY 90-DAY LIFESTYLE DESIGN COACHING PROGRAM
Your opportunity to work with me one-on-one. Upgrade your life through my proven system of revolutionary mental, physical and emotional transformation.
This Show is Brought to You By:
ORGANIFI. I'm loving Organifi Gold especially for my night time routine. It has turmeric, ginger, reishi, lemon balm, turkey tail and other rad super foods, phytonutrients & pain-soothing herbs. My daily routine lately goes like this: in the morning I add it to my nut milk smoothy. At night when I want to chill out, I make a golden latte. I add the power and a healthy fat like ghee, coconut, or grass-fed butter to hot water and voilá! Great warm elixir, really chills you out, gently detoxifies and tastes awesome.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Intro music: Jeordie White
Show production: Tatiana Melo
Sound editing: Dustin Smith