How can you transform misery and failure into success and inspiration? In this episode with our guest Rich Roll, we find out exactly what he did to rise from the ashes of alcoholism and ill health, to become one of the most positive and influential leaders in the health and wellness industry.
If you or someone you know has struggled with addiction and lived to tell the tale, you have most likely learned that there are many more levels of sobriety to attain once the actual substance abuse has been overcome. Most of us who have been so afflicted find that the underlying emotional causes and conditions of our problem become much more apparent once physical sobriety has been achieved. Rich shares with us some of the many tools he’s used to maximize his spiritual growth and personal development, and some of the other obstacles he’s had to face along the road to recovery.
This was one of the most meaningful interviews for me personally, not only because Rich and I have so much in common regarding our personal struggles with addiction, but also due to the level of depth, authenticity, and vulnerability to which he was willing to go to for the benefit of our listeners.
If you know someone who is struggling in life right now, and could use some hope and inspiration, this would be a great episode to share with them. I know it’s been good for me.
Thanks for listening, and helping me to continue on my journey of recovery and self-discovery.
This Show is Brought to You by
FOURSIGMATIC.COM. MUSHROOMS, THE ORIGINAL SUPER FOOD. MELT AWAY STRESS, BOOST IMMUNITY, RELAX & SLEEP DEEPER, IMPROVE PRODUCTIVITY, INCREASE BRAIN POWER, GET STIMULATION WITHOUT THE JITTERS. SOUNDS LIKE ALL THE GOOD STUFF YOU WANT? WELCOME TO THE MEDICINAL FUNGI KINGDOM!
HERE'S HOW I USE FOUR SIGMATIC PRODUCTS TO UPGRADE MY
You can also view our chat!
- Welcoming Rich mid-stream on our spontaneous studio chat
- What’s on the horizon: Tuscany retreat
- Retracing Rich's life chapters: golden boy > goody two shoes nerd > alcohol > social animal > addiction > Law school > mess and chaos > junk food junkie > overweight > problems with the law > on the brink of homelessness > wake up call > rehab/recovery > sobriety > repairing the wreckage and spiritual malaise > becoming awesome
- The need to drink: where did it come from? Pressures, expectations to live up to, trauma.
- Alcoholism and the addict profile
- Still overcoming addictions: the mobile phone demon, social media, obsessive control and delegating tasks
- Monetizing spirituality and the challenges of running a self-sustaining business with an authentic approach
- Judgement: "just because you like chocolate doesn't mean you can't like vanilla". When is it appropriate, when it's not
- Rich's daily routine
- Higher power and prayer: Rich's connection
- Lifestyle recommendations
SHOP PRODUCTS MENTIONED
- Episode #5: Emily Fletcher: Meditation Made Easy
- Episode #8: Tero Isokauppila: The Magic of Mushrooms
- Episode #12: Tej Khalsa: Kundalini Yoga - God's Technology
- Episode #15: Ben Greenfield: Biohacking the Ultimate Home
- Episode #16: Claus Pummer: Sleep, The Smartest Drug?
- Episode #20: Mas Vidal: Ayurveda and Yoga as a Way of Life
- Episode #22: David Wolfe: A Gypsy is Born: The Mystical Life of a Health Guru
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Intro music: Jeordie White
Show notes: Tatiana Melo
Sound editing: Dustin Smith