In this episode, our guest is Matt Maruca, Founder of Ra Optics.
At 18-years-old, Matt is, by far, the youngest guest we’ve had on the show (and possibly the world’s youngest biohacker). But don’t let his age fool you – this guy is smart. While in high school, he learned more about optimizing health than most people do in a lifetime, and he gave the machine that is his body a complete overhaul.
When you look at nature, every other species has a lifestyle that is dictated by their environment, and they are in harmony with their environment.
But humans have changed their environment, resulting in a fundamental disconnect from what they need to nourish their bodies. As a result, we are constantly pursuing the newest health trend – but the fact that they are trends, the fact that they are always changing, proves that none of them are actually the answer.
For years, Matt found himself in this trap: he chased the newest trends and diets just so that he could stop feeling like crap. He exhausted every popular food program available, but nothing worked (of course).
Then Matt really started digging in. He started following thought leaders like our friend Jack Kruse and asking big questions: How is food used in our body, on a chemical level? How does seasonal eating play into things? Geographic eating? What is light’s role in all of this? Temperature’s? What are these mitochondria things and why isn’t anyone talking about them?
It’s time to use some common sense, holla at nature, and fix the dysfunction in our bodies.
TOPICS DISCUSSED ON THIS EPISODE
- Why so many high schoolers today don’t have enough energy
- What mitochondria are, how they run our cells, & why you’ll die if they aren’t doing their job
- The fallacy of authority
- The problem with “health trends” and fad diets
- Struggling with migraines (once for three weeks straight)
- In vitro fertilization
- Matt’s catalyst for entering the biohacking world
- Not-so-fun facts about vegetable oil
- How our man-made environment is damaging our bodies
- The ketogenic diet & ketosis
- The single most important factor for optimal health
- Dr. Douglas Wallace, “The Galileo of Biology”
- The possible myth of breatharianism
- The relationship between heart, mind, logic, and information
- Common sense & nature
- The most complex thing in the universe (besides the universe itself)
- Heteroplasmy, homoplasmy, & mitochondrial DNA
- How to figure out what YOU should be eating
- Repairing mitochondrial function
- School is teaching people not to think for themselves
- How Jack Kruse, Matt’s mentor, saved his life
- Being homo domesticus
- The cold factor & the cold thermogenesis protocol
- Using technology to mimic natural environments & fix our bodies
- The restorative power of darkness
- Benefits of sex & the problem with ejaculating too much
- Why infrared light is so cool
- The sun doesn’t cause cancer – mitochondrial dysfunction does
- Humans are the first animal to un-ground themselves & remove themselves from the sun
- How Matt became the tannest person of Irish descent that I know
- What you can do in your home to improve mitochondrial function (or stop at least stop creating dysfunction)
- How you can turn ANY glasses into blue blockers with RaOptics.io
- Facebook: facebook.com/raopticsblueblockers
- Instagram: @ra_optics
- Instagram: @Matty___m
- Watch: The Most Important Factor For Optimal Health
- Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil
- Clearlight Infrared Sauna
- Joov Red Light Therapy
- Blue Light Filter for your Computer: IrisTech.co
- Read: “MITOCHONDRIA #1: YOUR VITAL FORCE”
- Read: “Cold Thermogenesis 6: The Ancient Pathway”
- Cold Thermogenesis Easy Start Guide
- Watch: The Most Epic Jack Kruse Interview EVER! EP #75 & #76, The Life Stylist Podcast
- Listen: Surviving the City with Spiritual Science with Jack Kruse
- Watch: Why the Sun is Necessary for Optimal Health
- Cosmosapiens: Human Evolution from the Origin of the Universe by John Hands
- The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn
- What Is Life Answered in Terms of the Properties and Activities of Microscopic Assemblies of Molecules, Atoms, Ions and Electrons Called Nano-protplasm by Gilbert M. Ling
- Health and Light: The extraordinary Study that Shows How light Affects Your Health and emotional well being by John Ott
- The Places That Scare You by Pema Chödrön
Join the tribe on our Facebook Group. Ask away!
This Show is Brought to You By:
Athletic Greens. 11 supplements in 1! As someone who’s been into superfoods, and supplementation for over 25 years, I’ve seen many a trend come and go. One of those trends is green powder blends. Having tried many of them, and left most of them behind, one I’ve decided to stick with is Athletic Greens. The attention to detail in the ingredient deck and the careful sourcing of those ingredients is really impressive. The inclusion of not only the broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals is fantastic, but also the enzymes and probiotics necessary to fully assimilate those nutrients. Add to that the convenience factor, and the elimination of the need to travel with 20 bottles of supplements, and you’ve got a home run even for the most discerning health connoisseur. If you’re looking for fast acting energy, alkalinity, and nutrient density, Athletic Greens is a home run. Get 20 FREE travel packs valued at $99 with your first purchase.
FOUR SIGMATIC. Melt away stress, boost immunity, relax & sleep deeper, improve productivity, increase brain power, get stimulation without jitters. Sound like all the good stuff you want? Welcome to the medicinal fungi kingdom with Four Sigmatic's highest quality mushroom & herbs in little packets of magical power that you can add to your coffee or warm drink. Now featuring a slew of brand new super chronic, super food & herbal blends! Check out the the green coffee bean extract, the brain stack, the sleep stack, the matcha tea with Lion’s Mane, and the new coffee + mushroom infused mixes! Use coupon "thelifestylist" for 15% off.
ORGANIFI. I'm loving Organifi Gold especially for my night time routine. It has turmeric, ginger, reishi, lemon balm, turkey tail and other rad super foods, phytonutrients & pain-soothing herbs. My daily routine lately goes like this: in the morning I add it to my nut milk smoothy. At night when I want to chill out, I make a golden latte. I add the power and a healthy fat like ghee, coconut, or grass-fed butter to hot water and voilá! Great warm elixir, really chills you out, gently detoxifies and tastes awesome. Save 20% off, use coupon code "LIFESTYLIST"
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)
- Episode 3: Dr. Jack Kruse: Surviving the City with Spiritual Science
- Episode 75: Dr. Jack Kruse: The Toxic Lighting Crisis And How To Fix It, Part One
- Episode 76: Dr. Jack Kruse: The Toxic Lighting Crisis And How To Fix It, Part Two
- Episode 114: Quantified Bob: The King Of Biohacking On The Secret To City Living