Have you ever considered that the way most of us humans exercise or at least try to stay in shape usually has nothing to do with how we have evolved to move? Think about a rowing machine or a barbell. When is the last time you saw a gorilla jetting up a river in a canoe or lifting a 25lb log up and down for 12 reps? The human body is designed to move in nature, using its environment as a ‘gym.’ That environment might be a forest, or in the case of today’s guest- the concrete jungle of a city.
In this episode, we learn all about moving your body like the human ape that you are, from one of the most popular natural movement experts in the world - Travis Brewer. Travis has combined elements of Acroyoga, Parkour, functional movement training, animal-based movements, and calisthenics, to create a system called ‘ninja flow.' This fitness system requires very few tools and certainly does not require membership to a gym, with it’s inherent forced exposure to bad LED lighting, irritating music, and the toxic fumes of rubber floors, and plastic exercise equipment.
Through his many years of extensive training, Travis has not only learned to execute seemingly impossible feats of human movement but has also inspired millions of fans as a finalist on the hit NBC show American Ninja Warrior.
If you're interested in expanding your vision of what your body is capable of, and in finding new and exciting ways to achieve a higher level of fitness, this episode is for you. It's also for anyone you know who could use a little inspiration in their movement practice. So do us all a favor, and share this show with a friend.
To your physical potential,
This Show is Brought to You By:
FOUR SIGMATIC. Melt away stress, boost immunity, relax & sleep deeper, improve productivity, increase brain power, get stimulation w/o the jitters. Sounds like all the good stuff you want? Welcome to the medicinal fungi kingdom! Four Sigmatic's highest quality mushroom & herbs wrapped in little packets of magical power that you can add to your coffee or warm drink.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)
- How Travis combined elements of Acroyoga, Parkour, functional movement training, animal based movements, and calisthenics, to create his own system called ‘ninja flow’
- The power of certain numbers
- The importance of gratitude
- How losing his high paying job in real estate led to becoming a fitness TV star
- How the book autobiography of a yogi transformed Travis’s life
- How the lessons of self realization and meditation moved him in the direction of fitness and movement
- How Travis landed a gig on the hit TV Show American Ninja Warrior on NBC
- The importance of remaining teachable, in your body, mind, and spirit
- Connecting your mind and body to achieve a flow state
- Why the first step in fitness is strengthening your core, and opening your hips
- Getting started with animal flow: Travis gives a live lesson called an ape crawl
- The importance of positive progression
- How climbing trees, and signposts can become the foundation of a super fit body
- The idea that the world we live in can become your gym
- Exploring the power of ice baths, infrared saunas
- Why Travis became a vegan for a year, and why he stopped
- Best fats to eat for energy
- Why non-organic foods are not an option
- How Travis beat stage fright on national TV, and how to overcome all fears
- Lifestyle recommendations
SHOP RELATED PRODUCTS
COACHING WITH LUKE
You asked, here it is! Customized lifestyle recommendations via phone or Skype with yours truly.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Intro music: Jeordie White
Show production: Tatiana Melo
Sound editing: Dustin Smith