For a lot of us, pain is a necessary catalyst for change. For me, it was hitting rock bottom with my drug addiction. For Kyle Kingsbury, it was watching his parents’ abusive relationship and years of struggling with suicidal thoughts.
But while standing naked on the ledge of a parking garage, Kyle felt, for the first time in his life, that he wasn’t alone, that there was more to life, and that he was loved.
It was on that ledge that Kyle realized that whatever needs to be done, needs to be done internally – he wasn’t going to fix his mind or body with any pill.
Not long after that experience, Kyle started his career in professional mixed martial arts with the UFC. He had an outlet, he had a team, and he had something bigger than him to work towards... Plus, he was good at it, and that doesn’t hurt! (This primal warrior won his first two fights in under 30 seconds.)
While fighting, Kyle dove deep into health, wellness, nutrition, and biohacking, with some detours into the world of plant medicine. All of this prepared him for his current role as Director of Human Optimization (AKA the company guinea pig) at Onnit, an incredible company dedicated to Total Human Optimization (and a biohacker’s best friend).
Once you experience the power of diet, supplements, nootropics, cold thermogenesis, breathwork, and even microdosing in the pursuit of Total Human Optimization, you’ll feel the difference – and you’ll know that this biohacking stuff is more than just a bunch of trends.
TOPICS DISCUSSED ON THIS EPISODE:
- How Kyle used fighting as a coping mechanism, early and often
- Advocating for the right drugs & against the wrong drugs
- Learning to quiet the noise without drugs
- What it’s like to struggle with suicidal thoughts as early as 7 years old
- The respectful camaraderie between professional fighters
- How getting put on the bench in college football fueled Kyle’s fighting
- The pain of truly believing that no one will ever love you
- When Kyle realized he wasn’t alone & there was more to life... while standing on a ledge
- The boxing coach that brought Kyle to traditional sweat lodges before and after every fight camp
- Discovering the world of plant medicines: psilocybin, ayahuasca, and more
- How diet, supplements, nootropics, and even microdosing play a role in Total Human Optimization
- Why Kyle had to be a bouncer and bartender at a titty bar almost the entire time he was in the UFC
- What it’s like to experience a life of Total Human Optimization
- A day in the life of Kyle Kingsbury: breathwork, cold thermogenesis, killer workouts, and more
- The transformative plant medicine experiences that Kyle has gone through with his wife (and the insane sex that they have had while using various substances)
- Teaching your kids the right & wrong ways to use plant medicines + other parenting insights
- Connect with Kyle on IG: @kingsbu
- Connect with Onnit: Twitter | Instagram
- Listen to Human Optimization Hour on iTunes: apple.co/2rtXZTE
- Watch:: #40 The Life Stylist Luke Storey | Onnit Podcast
- Watch: #12 How To Get Back Up with Kyle Kingsbury | Onnit Podcast
- Clearlight Infrared Sauna
- Ben Greenfield’s Ultimate Guide To DIY Cold Thermogenesis (including Luke’s Budget Freezer Hack)
- Join the Sauna Therapy & Detox with Niacin group on Facebook
- Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and Diet Dictocrats by Sally Fallon
- Positive Discipline: The Classic Guide to Helping Children Develop Self-Discipline, Responsibility, Cooperation, and Problem-Solving Skills by Jane Nelsen Ed.D.
- Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers by Gabor Maté and Gordon Neufeld
- Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimized Practices for Waking, Working, Learning, Eating, Training, Playing, Sleeping, and Sex by Aubrey Marcus
- A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
Join the tribe on our Facebook Group. Ask away!
This Show is Brought to You By:
FOUR SIGMATIC. Melt away stress, boost immunity, relax & sleep deeper, improve productivity, increase brain power, get stimulation without jitters. Sound like all the good stuff you want? Welcome to the medicinal fungi kingdom with Four Sigmatic's highest quality mushroom & herbs in little packets of magical power that you can add to your coffee or warm drink. Now featuring a slew of brand new super chronic, super food & herbal blends! Check out the green coffee bean extract, the brain stack, the sleep stack, the matcha tea with Lion’s Mane, and the new coffee + mushroom infused mixes! Use coupon "thelifestylist" for 15% off at foursigmatic.com/luke.
ORGANIFI. I'm loving Organifi Gold, especially for my night time routine. It has turmeric, ginger, reishi, lemon balm, turkey tail and other rad superfoods, phytonutrients & pain-soothing herbs. My daily routine lately goes like this: in the morning I add it to my nut milk smoothie. At night when I want to chill out, I make a golden latte. I add the power and a healthy fat like ghee, coconut, or grass-fed butter to hot water and voilá! Great warm elixir, really chills you out, gently detoxifies and tastes awesome. Save 20% using code “LIFESTYLIST” at organifi.com/luke.
ONNIT. I’ve been using Onnit products for years, but these guys are growing and growing fast. I recently visited the Onnit headquarters and can tell you that they are doing it right, plus their insane product line is always made with science-backed, earth-grown nutrients. Whether you’re looking for something to get swole, relax, or supplement your diet, Onnit has you covered. You can save 10% on all foods and supplements + receive a FREE gift by going to onnit.com/luke.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)