I didn’t start meditating to be cool – I started meditating to save my life. By 26 years old I loathed my very existence, and was trapped in a downward spiral of self-destruction. I’ve tried numerous methods of finding peace of mind using various practices of meditation, but Vedic meditation has been my Holy Grail.
I also know that meditation is one of the things you all are hungry to learn more about, so I sat down with Light Watkins, an author and Vedic teacher who wants to empower the everyman to meditate.
To help, Light wrote one of the best books I’ve ever read on the topic: Bliss More: How to Succeed in Meditation Without Really Trying. You can think of Bliss More as the meditation version of the The 4-Hour Workweek: lean, effective, and at home on a bio hacker’s bookshelf near you.
Some meditation practices and techniques are very specific and rigid, both physically and mentally. This is what a lot of people think of when they hear the word “meditation,” and in all honesty, those practices can be a struggle for the amateur who sincerely wants to make a daily practice out of meditation.
If you want to sit with your legs crossed on the floor for an hour, that’s fine! But that’s NOT necessary to achieve the best or most efficient results from meditation – you can’t focus your way to bliss.
Vedic meditation, on the other hand, is about reshaping the relationship with the mind to effortlessly experience fully-awake restful consciousness and its many physiological benefits.
“The mind is not the enemy. The mind is not the obstacle. The mind is actually your ally. The mind is noble.”
TOPICS DISCUSSED ON THIS EPISODE:
- Urban escape room & evasion course
- How to succeed in meditation (without really trying)
- Changing the conversation around meditation
- Why Light’s book is accessible for the everyman & experienced practitioners
- Reframing writing as a practice
- Dealing with criticism (& laughing at negative reviews on Yelp)
- How Light (a young man from Alabama) first got into meditation in the 90s
- Experiencing Light’s first “meditation orgasm”
- Thom Knoles, a maharishi (or pre-eminent master-teacher) of Vedic Meditation
- Why meditation is only effective when it’s a daily practice
- Becoming a good teacher (“You don’t have to beat Michael Jordan to coach him to a championship.”)
- Training in India
- Listening to our intuitive voice
- Your energetic economy
- Having many choices VS knowing the right choice (for you)
- The early, rocky stages of a meditation practice
- Stress relief & meditation
- Fun fact: we all have the same number of thoughts
- Appreciating beauty
- Calming the fight or flight reaction
- Why Light keeps his services accessible and affordable
- How Light prays
- Instagram: @lightwatkins
- Bliss More: How to Succeed in Meditation Without Really Trying by Light Watkins
- Instagram: @theshinemovement
- Watch: “Debunking the 5 Most Common Meditation Myths | Light Watkins | TEDxVeniceBeach”
- Read: “Pearls Before Breakfast: Can one of the nation’s great musicians cut through the fog of a D.C. rush hour? Let’s find out.”
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Be Here Now by Ram Dass
Join the tribe on our Facebook Group. Ask away!
This Show is Brought to You By:
Health IQ. All your hard work as a health-conscious, biohacker can now payoff in deep savings on your life insurance. Health IQ offers exclusive discounts based on your lifestyle and level of health, so if you're a runner, cyclist, yogi, triathlete, vegan... here's the payoff. 4-33% savings just for being healthy. Discount code LIFESTYLIST. Also try their online quiz at healthiq.com/quiz and see how well you score!
FOUR SIGMATIC. Melt away stress, boost immunity, relax & sleep deeper, improve productivity, increase brain power, get stimulation without jitters. Sound like all the good stuff you want? Welcome to the medicinal fungi kingdom with Four Sigmatic's highest quality mushroom & herbs in little packets of magical power that you can add to your coffee or warm drink. Now featuring a slew of brand new super chronic, super food & herbal blends! Check out the the green coffee bean extract, the brain stack, the sleep stack, the matcha tea with Lion’s Mane, and the new coffee + mushroom infused mixes! Use coupon "thelifestylist" for 15% off.
ORGANIFI. I'm loving Organifi Gold especially for my night time routine. It has turmeric, ginger, reishi, lemon balm, turkey tail and other rad super foods, phytonutrients & pain-soothing herbs. My daily routine lately goes like this: in the morning I add it to my nut milk smoothy. At night when I want to chill out, I make a golden latte. I add the power and a healthy fat like ghee, coconut, or grass-fed butter to hot water and voilá! Great warm elixir, really chills you out, gently detoxifies and tastes awesome. Save 20% off, use coupon code "LIFESTYLIST"
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Easy options via Paypal, Credit Card and Patreon (earn rewards!)
- EPISODE 68: Neil Strauss: When Love Is A Drug
- EPISODE 94: Jeff Kober: The Walking Dead And The Path Of Enlightenment, Part One
- EPISODE 116: Stairway To Heaven: The Magic & Mystery Of Modern Meditation With Emily Fletcher
- EPISODE 126: Breaking Free Of Negative Patterns With The Hoffman Process, Feat. Tim Laurence